Cars bringing back from abroad how many excluding VRT

ecstatic

#HI,

I read on the oasis website you can bring cars back home if u dont reside in ireland at the moment.

I dont reside in ireland and am interested in brining a car home for myown use excluding the VRT. Obviously it is a lot cheaper to bring a car home i am currently abroad and cars are abou half the price.

How many cars can i bring home as it does not say on the website how many cars i am allowed to bring home?

ecstatic said:
#HI,

I read on the oasis website you can bring cars back home if u dont reside in ireland at the moment.

I dont reside in ireland and am interested in brining a car home for myown use excluding the VRT. Obviously it is a lot cheaper to bring a car home i am currently abroad and cars are abou half the price.

How many cars can i bring home as it does not say on the website how many cars i am allowed to bring home?
One, your own car for personal use.

Ecstatic,

As was mentioned one, Of course if the wife or significant other is also away with you one each.

You need to be away for more than 6 months, have owned the car for 6 months plus, you cannot sell the car untill a year after your return.

Where are you that the cars are half the price of the fair green Isle?

Looking at a new porsche mate 160k in ireland and it costs 100k in brussels.

Also looked at a 23k puegot car listed on autotrader.ie and over here same car was 10k. Cannot remember the spec but it was one with flip down roof etc.

Obviously someone is going to say they drive on wrong side of road. Yes thats true however there are places that sell right hand drive car's.

"I dont see one on the website is that because there is a mistake or is it because no-one has contested the fact that people may want more than one car for there own use?"

To hell with the 206 bring the porsche.

Best bet is to contact the revenue and ask the question about 2 cars.

I doubt it though.

When i brought my own car in I enquired about this at the Santry VRO as we may be going abroad for a year in 2008. He was very clear that only one car would be allowed under the exemption (each of course).

You can order rhd in europe but bear in mind you'll have to be driving it around there for at least 6 months before bringing it home.

A nicely specced BMW 5-series or high end merc would be a great long-term purchase if you brought it home and kept it.

ah yeah im eyeing up the old porsche..

However i have talked with a friend of mine who states that if its not explicitly written in tax law it may be contested.

If it is contested and you lose u still win your case as it was a grey area in the beginning..

Obviously be a fight but ill instruct the VRO to show me it on there law.

Now if i come home with my fancy car then go away again for another year or two am i allowed bring another car back???? :)!

The law does not state that you can only bring back one car, but the authorities do check for evidence that the car or cars are for personal use.
I know a number of people who have moved to Ireland and had to prove this.
In the case of an older car with little resale value, there is not many issues, but if you have a 6 month old high spec car, they will crawl all over you.
I know someone who was turned down, as the car was far in excess of what he could afford on his income, and the customs officers were convinced ( rightly) that he was bringing it back for his dad.

So, feel free to try to push the boundaries, but the customs officers who
implement this law have seen it all before.

Hi,

I returned from the UK in 2001 and brought in 2 cars. I got it in writing from the VRO first.

Back