Carer’s leave

I checked and we don’t have any policies covering medical care leave, I was sent a document outlining how I could get leave if I was a full time carer. Nope, I just need the odd day… HR are scratching their heads,,, small company (150 staff) and 4 HR people and none of them seemed to know about this,
Mad Ted!

I checked and we don’t have any policies covering medical care leave <SNIP> Nope, I just need the odd day
Most don't have such a policy in place, the expectation is that you take annual leave / force majeure for those.

Minimum period for carers leave is 13 weeks in a continuous period so you have no entitlement to it.

You can apply for Force Majeure, which is a max of 3 days in a 12 month period or 5 days over 36 months. This is paid,
You also have an entitlement to 5 days special leave for serious medical care for a relative (child, parent etc) and this has been in place since last July. This is unpaid leave, your employer can ask for proof (such as a doctors cert for your parent)

The unpaid leave for medical care is the one I need.

I don’t mind the unpaid aspect. But I’ve already used 5 days AL this year with medical stuff, mostly half days. I’ll run out.

It’s not FM, I have notice and it’s not necessarily an emergency.

Planned medical appointments for 2 elderly folk can absorb a fair few days. I try to work up some time but occasionally I get push back and get asked why I can’t send a carer with them… same reason your childminder doesn’t take your kids to the doctor when they are sick or in need of a check up!

I just need them to outline the procedure internally for requesting it. They have forms for applying for other types of leave and approval procedures etc.

Last edited:
Back