Career Planning

V

veron01

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea if career guidance / life coaches are any good?

I am soon finished my contract and am at a loss as to what I really would like to have a career in. Am in accounts at the mo.

Does anyone have any experience of using them to get a good idea of what they are good at or like to do?

Thanks for any help / advice.

Not sure if this of any use

There was a thread a while on life coaches but I can't find it at the moment, anyone else ........ I will have another look later when the kids are for once not lookin' to be fed :)

Hi,

Me again. Had a quick look but could not find that thread. It must have gone from the board thru age. Perhaps the previous thread above will help.

life coaching

AFAIK a life coach will tease out your life goals with you. Do you want loada money? Happiness? Fulfillment? Sainthood? They'll get these goals as specific as possible and work with you in working out how to achieve them, like setting deadlines for each of them, and keeping you focussed.

eg. I want to be CEO of a major bank.
therefore you'll have to research how others got there; find out what qualifications, skills, attributes are needed; will these be something you're willing to acquire/suit your personality; how can you do this step-by-step; what's Step 1 and when can you achieve it by. so you end up with: I'll get an entry level job with any of the banks, and study accountancy by night by October.

Disclaimer: I'm not a life coach & this is just based on what I've read about them.

Re: life coaching

Try ETC Consult in Dartmouth Square. The principal, whose name I forget, is a well respected occupational psychologist.

Brendan

Back