Career Break - PRSI Query

R

Rafa250505

Hi,

I've been in full time professional employment for the past 3 years, now I'm off to spend a year doing substantially nothing in Australia.

I'm OK with PAYE, but am unclear on the PRSI side of things.

I read somewhere that I should keep my PRSI record / credits up to date?? I'm not looking to claim unemployment benefit, and have earned more than €400 weekly so am not looking to claim back the health levy, but seemingly I can / should claim credits??

So my questions are:

(a) What exactly are these credits, and am I entitled to them?
(b) Is there anything else I should bear in mind from a PRSI perspective?

I have all my P60s and my P45, and I'll take a leap of faith and say that the payroll dept did all taxes correctly. They're in or around what they should be anyway.

Thanks for your help.

you can claim back health levy for the year AFAIK....your salary averaged over the 52 weeks of the year if you quit work now would be under the threshold so i think you can get refund of the 2% paid.

Rafa250505 said:
I read somewhere that I should keep my PRSI record / credits up to date?? I'm not looking to claim unemployment benefit, and have earned more than €400 weekly so am not looking to claim back the health levy, but seemingly I can / should claim credits??

So my questions are:

(a) What exactly are these credits, and am I entitled to them?
(b) Is there anything else I should bear in mind from a PRSI perspective?

I'm not sure where you read this but the advice may not have referred solely to claiming anything back but may have been suggesting that you consider voluntarily continuing to pay PRSI contributions even though you are not earning in order to continue to qualify for PRSI benefits such as dental/optical/unemployment benefit/contributory pension etc.

Thanks for the advice lads - its noted...though the comments in the current thread in this forum "PRSI Refunds" seem to disagree with you Legend. I'll give the good Welfare folk a call tomorrow and see.

Dam099 - that could well be what I read / heard (vague memory from a few months back)....keeping up my PRSI contributions with a view to maximising my state pension whenever I retire. Would that make sense? If so is it sound advice?

Thanks

Back