car purchase

A

ajones

Hi.

I was looking to buy a second hand car, there is a small crack in one of the headlights and a small hole where a stone may have hit it, would this fail an NCT test

Here's the [broken link removed] for the NCT.

Dunno the answer but I guess it wouldn't cost too much to replace a headlamp. You could use it as a bargaining chip to lower the price.

I am replacing a rear light on my car (99 Almera) and it is costing €126 for the part alone (tried roughly 30 scrap dealers in Dublin, Donegal, Wexford and Louth, and micksgarage.com did not respond to my e-mail with availability), so I would imagine a headlamp could cost over and above €200?

Incidentally I am sweating on my car passing the NCT with 2 small chips in the windscreen. One of them was there when I bought the car, but the garage wouldn't replace it (I did get €500 off the price at the time), and told me to claim off my insurance. I am insured with Quinn Direct, who do not provide windscreen cover, so I would have to pay around €400 to have it replaced. Based on anecdotal evidence, when deciding whether to pass/fail, the tester should consider whether the chip will turn into a crack. Both the chips have been in my screen for over 18 months, and have not got any larger.

re lights + windscreens

ajones,

what type of car is it ?
if it's an older model/common model sechondhand parts may be easily available and relatively cheap.
I suspect that if the chip in minor and not letting water into the light then it should be fine. Either way, if you decide to buy the car, use it as a negotiating point to get the price lowered.

re windscreens,
if the chip is small and not within the windsreen 'wiper sweep area', it should pass. Look at its this way, the test will cost c.€40 and it may pass.
If not, THEN spend the money on a screen - not before.
(N.B. very small chips within the 'wiper sweep area' are also allowed)

Shop around for screen prices. Also may be worth pricing fitted screen up in the North.

Back