Car owner is not main driver

Happy_Harry

I could not find a post that fully details my situation, so I hope somebody can help me.

I intend to buy my girlfriend a new car, however I would like to be the registered owner of the car, just in case...
I would only use this new car occasionally, so I intend to become a named driver.
Question is can my girlfriend become the main driver, although she will not be the owner of the car. If so, who should be the policy holder ?
The reason I am asking is that I have been told that you cannot be the policy holder for a car that is not registered in your name.

BTW , she has a longer no claims history than I have.

Thanks.

It is possible to be the main driver even if you are not the registered owner - happens all the time and the insurance companies will be well used to seeing this situation. I presume you have your own car? Given her longer no claims history and the fact that she's female and will have a lower insurance cost, the insurance company might be reluctant to believe she was the main driver of your only car.

I got a car registered in joint names before...would that be of any use in your situation??

Thanks for your replies.
Yes, I do drive my own car (company car), so that would hopefully satisfy the insurance company that she will be the main driver.
I like the idea of registring the car in joint names, I will have a look at some official websites and see how this would work.

Back