Car is a writeoff, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tingri

Hi,

A car ran into the back of mine a few days ago, the other driver is at fault and their insurance is handling everything. They rang me and asked me to get my damage estimated at one of their garages so that they could then get the damage sorted. I brought the car in, the guy told me that there is significant damage to the chassis and that the insurance company may declare it a writeoff as the cost of repairing it might be worth more than the car (car is worth 4k approx), so they might offer me the value of the car. There is visible damage to the back bumper but apart from that it doesnt look bad but obviously there is damage within.

I have a couple of questions on this
1) If it happens that they give say its a writeoff and decide to give me the value instead, what does that mean for my car? Its driveable, and does not seem to have any noticeable problems. Would I be allowed to keep/drive the car and still claim the money, obvioulsy only if it is safe to drive? The car has low mileage, previously owned by a friend and well taken care of so I would like to keep it rather than getting a different one with an unknown history.
2) Should I get a separate quote in a different garage just to compare against the one given by the insurers garage?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back