Car insurance

krabik

Hey folks

I was thinking about getting a car, well a banger really, nothing fancy...

I was told a few things

1. some car makes are more expensive to insure i.e a FORD is expensive ????

2. go through a broker to get it as they get you the best deals, Goggins on Dorset st was mentioned as a very good one.

3. Diesel cars are cheaper to insure than petrol

4. and finally car/vans ( you know it looks like a car but no back seat as its got a flat floor) are cheaper again

can anyone yeh or nah on these for me, any help at all would be appreciated

thanks krabik

ney.

make of car does not matter, all standard makes are rated the same. it would be different if you had a kit car or a home made model.

broker in theory should get you the best deal of those comapnies who deal with brokers. some companies deal direct and can have different prices.

carvans can be cheaper than cars, but you might not have cover for passengers or cover for private use.

The make of car does matter but doubtful in the league you are talking about (a banger? guessing something quite old then). The make would be relevant with regard to desirability from a theft pointof view, safety equipment, engine size etc. etc. Less and less relevant as the car becomes older though.

Diesel has traditionally been cheaper but insurers are now quite wise to the fact that modern tdis are quite powerful so it's not quite the factor it used to be. Bear in mind diesels tend to be of a larger engine size too (especially so if i'm guessing the 'banger' budget is a couple of grand or so). The Carvan trick was an old wheeze (only two seats so much less liability) that again the insurers are wise to.

Don't bother with a broker, get the phone book out and spend an hour or two both phoning around yourself and checking online.

Again focusing on the 'banger' quote you used i'd be more inclined to get something reliable with a decent service history than worrying too much about shaving a few euros off the insurance. Unless you going to be doing a lot of mileage you're most likely better off getting a 1.0 litre petrol.

Back