Car Insurance

F

floss

need advice please a girl up the road slammed into the rear side of my car last night she was coming down the road with no lights on and the Gardai were going up she panicked and hit the breaks and so hit my parked car she was in tears and kept apoligising to me i was just glad she was not hurt,her car is badly damaged and the steering column is in half the gardai had to lift it with a bit of help and park it on front of mine not much damage was caused to mine but the wheel and side took the impact a few scratches and bumper hanging on one side i am more concerned about the wheel it doesnt look buckled and i drove it today but i want to get it checked all the same.the gardai told us to try and sort it without goin through insurance and left it at that.however she wants me to use a fella she knows to repair my car but although i feel sorry for her only 20 L driver i want to take it to my local toyota garage where i bought it 8 mths ago am i been unreasonable???the girl wants to pay for the damages herself but i need my car and cant be without it while its in repair i have fully comp and the last time someone reversed into me it took 5 days to repair my car but i was given a rented car to get around in.this girl only works as a checkout operator and i dont think she realises the cost involved what should or can i do to keep costs down

Hi Floss - Don't feel guilty about insisting that your car is repaired to a high standard. Your resale value could well be affected by a backstreet repair job. I guess that you'll find that the costs of a full repair by a main dealer (plus replacement car) will be well beyond the expectations of the other driver. This is what insurance is for. She's going to lose her no-claims-bonus, but that is her problem, not yours. Any comments that the guard may have made about not going through insurance are beyond the scope of the guard's professional capacity. This is now a civil matter between you & the other driver. It's not a criminal matter.

I would strongly advise you to claim directly against her insurance company. If you claim against your own comprehensive policy, you will lose your own no-claims bonus (as it is a no-claims bonus, not a no-blame bonus). If you haven't already done so, make sure you get her insurance details, and get a quote from your main dealer. Once she sees the costs involved, she'll refer you to her insurance company.

RAINYDAY thank you for your quick response an excellent reply was just thinking about it all and i couldnt see a way out.I have now given it great thought and now come to a decision with your help.Only one last thing! the Gardai want her to produce her inssurance documents in 10 days does this mean she has no insurance?no disc on the car outsde.or is it just a formallity?many thanks again.

floss said:
Only one last thing! the Gardai want her to produce her inssurance documents in 10 days does this mean she has no insurance?no disc on the car outsde.or is it just a formallity?
The absence of a disc is worrying. I don't want to get you worried, but this combined with her enthusiasm to deal directly would have me suspicious about whether she has insurance at all! If she doesn't, it's not the end of the world, as there is a Bureau which accept claims relating to uninsured drivers, though I'd imagine this may be a lot more hassle than a typical claim.

With any accident, you really should get the other party's insurance details. I'd be asking her for her policy number as soon as possible, if I were you. The Garda may not be in a position to give her insurance details to you.

again thank you RAINYDAY you are a mind full of information gonna look into this A.S.A.P

just an update went to my toyota garage got estimate €699.00 passed it on to the girl.Found out that if she refuses to pay this herself and I go through her insurance that her policy might not pay out as she drove with no lights on and was unaccompanied ie. no qualified driver with her.Is it true that if they find this out they will void her policy and I will have to go to the I.B.I ??Found out she has only had her insurance for 4 wks.RAINYDAY any more advice?I am a woman who is not used to all this out of my league but I am a great cook.

floss said:
just an update went to my toyota garage got estimate €699.00 passed it on to the girl.Found out that if she refuses to pay this herself and I go through her insurance that her policy might not pay out as she drove with no lights on and was unaccompanied ie. no qualified driver with her.Is it true that if they find this out they will void her policy and I will have to go to the I.B.I ??Found out she has only had her insurance for 4 wks.RAINYDAY any more advice?I am a woman who is not used to all this out of my league but I am a great cook.

they can never void the third party part of her policy...not matter what she does...

she may he trouble with her cliam (ie. her car not your) by not having lights on.....unaccompanied drivier is not an issue with insurance...

Back