Car insurance, thinking of a break in cover

music

Dear all,

I would be happy to receive your views.
We have two cars and live in a medium sized town with good transport options. We hardly drive anywhere at present due to C19 lockdown etc. Our mileage at the best of times anyhow is very small. We don't really need two cars. We use one and have not renewed the car tax on the second lately as we have taken if off-road due to lockdown and not driving it. The second car is 15 years old, low mileage, it is kind of handy in size and goes well, but has given us expensive trouble in the past- it is a bit like an earthquake in that it could drive for another 8 years without a problem or fall apart and need a large repair bill in 3 months time. Our young adult child might like it for driving around rather than going out to buy something. It's hard to know. Anyhow it is just sitting there for now.
The insurance is coming up for it soon. What happens if we don't renew it? Can we just go back in a year's time and renew without problem? Or is our NCB eliminated or some other penalty to be expected? I am half-expecting some sort of pitfall. We have been with the same insurer for this car for years.
Any advice is appreciated.

Your ncb remains valid for 2 years.
What you can do is alternate the insured driver on the remaining car each renewal to keep both ncb's alive .

As the car is 15 years old you will have difficulty getting insurance when you do decide to get insurance. You should renew the policy. Then suspend the insurance you'll have to return the cert. Maybe just leave fire and theft on the policy. Up to you. When you want to use the car again just ring and reinstate the full cover. You should get a refund at that stage.

My wife has 14-year old car with zero resale value that suits her needs. I haven't insured the car fully comprehensive in several years. Theft risk is low and we've budgeted to replace it whenever it sits down anyway.

At very least make sure you are only paying third-party insurance.

For those with newer models and comp cover. Ask to suspend cover leaving fire and theft only active. Third party cover is by far the most expensive element of your car insurance

Back