Car Insurance Renewal - Couple of questions

biggerry

I received my car insurance renewal letter from my broker on Friday. I have a couple of questions that somebody might be able to answer:

My current insurer is Hibernian and the broker has quoted me for Hibernian for the next year too.

The letter listed my premium and in brackets beside it it said "Incl. 10% discount - 2 penalty points". I did have 2 points for speeding but these were removed in March of this year. I called the broker and told them about this, but they said that this wouldn't make any difference to my premium. I looked at the Hibernian web site and this is what it says about penalty points "Penalty Points: If you and all drivers covered under your policy are free of penalty points and holders of Irish Driver's licences, then you are eligible for a 17.5% discount on your premium." My wife is a named driver on the policy and she has no penalty points. Based on this, shouldn't I be entitled to a 17.5% discount instead of 10%??

On the letter it also said "A statement of No Claim Bonus is attached as required under current legislation." However, there was nothing attached to the quote:(. There was a staple on the top left hand side of the letter, but there wasn't another piece of paper though. I did have a crash over 2 years ago where I was at fault and a claim was made against my policy. Due to this crash I'm sure it'd be difficult for another company to take me on, but should I still not have got the no claims bonus statement??

Thanks in advance!

The NCB should have been with the renewal. Ask for a duplicate.

If the points were 'removed' and you have confirmation of this then you should be eligible for the full discount.

Thanks F.

I received notification in March that the points were no longer on my licence.

you should be actually eligible for a 20% discount - Hibernian have increased their discount for anyone up to 2 penalty points to 20% anyone with 4 only gets 10%

Were the penalty points removed because they expired or because you were deemed not to have done whatever you got them for in the first place? I'm not sure of Hibernian's rules but it's not impossible that the penalty will be left there even after the points have been removed from your licence.

Thanks for that Bgirl. Orka, my 3 years were up so they were removed. I got a letter informing me of this.

The brokers gave me a new quote which was €60 cheaper! I need to supply a copy of the letter I got informing me that the points were no longer on my licence. The only problem is I can't find this letter:eek:

Does anybody know if it's possible to get this letter re-issued?

Back