Motor Car Insurance for first provisional -tesco

R

roweeeeeena

I am admittedly a bit clueless about all this insurance malarky!

Bought a car in April, need to get it insured so that I can start learning, no driving experience whatsoever.

The car is a 2002 Yaris Sol, 1.0l, 998cc

A good few of the main insurers won't touch me as I have no past experience etc. I want comprehensive insurance as the difference seems to be only a hundred or so, and my car is in excellent condition with very low mileage.

The only 3 that I can find willing to insure me are:

• its2women.ie €1490
  • AA €1323
  • Tesco Value €839, Standard €1070, Finest €1199
Obviously the tesco value one is the most attractive, but it seems too good to be true?! They're all comprehensive, the 3 different categories are just the extras which you get.

Apparently,
The core benefits of the value are:

• Comprehensive Cover
  • Uninsured driving protection
  • Breakdown Assist for Ireland & UK
  • No loss of NCD for fire or theft claims
  • New car replacement if yours is written off
  • €500 Min excess, reduced if you use our approved repairer
  • Cover for in car entertainment equipment

for the standard:

• Full No Claims Discount protection for one claim
  • Stepback protection if you do have additional claims
  • Courtesy car cover for 7 days while repairs are carried out to your car
  • Windscreen cover
  • Reduced excess of €300, less if you use our approved repairer
  • €15,000 Personal Accident cover
  • European cover for up to 31 days
  • €250 Medical Expenses

and for the finest:

• Full No Claims Discount protection for a second claim
  • Breakdown Assist for the whole of Europe
  • Courtesy car cover for 14 days if your car is stolen and can't be found
  • Cover for your Personal belongings
  • Reduced excess of €150
  • Personal Accident cover increases to €30,000
  • European cover extended to 95 days
  • Replacement locks cover
The issue is just I don't know whether the comp value option would do me, or should I go one up for the standard with the few extras, is standard actually offering much more? I suppose at only €231 in the difference I should just go with the middle standard option?.. Was expecting to pay a bit more than a grand so would be happy to pay the €1070 if tesco insurance is reliable and that policy ticks all the main boxes?

Is there any crucial difference that the standard is offering over the value which would be worth paying the extra for? The windscreen cover etc? I really don't have a clue what I should be looking for, value still seems suspiciously cheap for a first timer?!

Any insight much appreciated!

Have you looked into third party fire and theft? On a car that age i wouldn't worry too much anout having comprehensive.

Best thing is to do a direct comparioson, look at schedule of benefits for all. Are you going to be going overseas at all in the car (not on a provisional, you wouldn't be insured in another EU country anyways), so that probably isn't needed. Is it cheaper to buy breakdown seperately?

If it's your first time driving can you get named driver experience for a year somewhere and then look at getting your own cover?

Back