Motor Car Insurance for 2nd Car

G

green_shoots

I need to buy a second car however my insurance company won't let me use my No Claims Discount, anyone ever encountered this problem before? or know of any insurance company's out there that allow you to mirror your no claims discount?

yep. most companies will. Some will give you a three year i introductory bonus for your 5 years, and some will allow you a like for like mirror. AXA, Setanta, Zurich, etc all do it. ARB.

I need to buy a second car however my insurance company won't let me use my No Claims Discount, anyone ever encountered this problem before? or know of any insurance company's out there that allow you to mirror your no claims discount?

In the event that you have had a named driver on your policy for the last few years (eg Spouse), you could make that person owner and policyholder of the new vehicle using his/her Named Driver Discount (which is slightly lower that the equivalent NCB discount). You could then become a Named Driver on the second car, or if you have a Driving of Other Cars Extension on your existing policy, you could simply drive it on your own insurance (subject to Third Party Cover only, so better to be a Named Driver).

Be very careful about relying on DOC to drive a car registered to your spouse! Some insurers like Zurich excludes spouses vehicles from cover, so check your policy wording before attempting that!

Travellers through 123.ie will allow you to mirror your no claims bonus, but you cannot have named drivers on either policy

Back