car depreciation

johnwilliams

just trying to find out by what amount a new car depreciates each year .is there a rule of thumb for figuring it out (1/4 1/2 etc)

About 20% the first year alone! after that it slows down. I suggest never buy a spanking new car. My sister bought one with 28miles on the clock (yes 28, not 280, not 2800) and it was 2500 euro cheaper for that reason. It was no longer considered a new car. (for the record, the 28miles was because the car had been driven from the port to the garage!! instead of being towed) So look around, no need to buy new!

I was also looking for such information a year or so ago. I worked out my own very rough rule-of-thumb was that cars depreciate by about 50% every three years.

Example:
New car: 20,000
Three-years old: 10,000
Six-years old: 5,000
Nine-years old: 2,500

However, I cannot understand why the actual factual information isn't published - it is in other countries.

also depends a lot on the brand, supply and demand etc

something like the new mini cooper sport doesn't loose much money

check out for a rough guide to various makes and models value after 3 years/36,000miles - makes interesting reading I found!

I think those 36,000/3-year risidual values (30%-40%) are based on the UK market if I am not mistaken. I think the residual value for 36,000/3-year-old cars is approx 50% of the new value, but I'm open to correction on this?

Back