Car Depreciation after Crash

OnTheMove

Hi
Was involved in a car crash recently. The other party and their Insurance Co accepted liability, circa 4K to repair. The car is a 02 Reg
I was offered €300 depreciation. I asked the garge to estimate depreciation but refused due to their relationship with that Insurance Co. I approached the insurance comapny on this issue and said their assessment was based on yr of car and value.
When I sell the car I will have to disclose that it was crashed and will take a hit of > €300.
Has any contributor had similiar experience or know an independant assessor who could give an estimate of depreciation or am I looking at having to go the legal route?

Thanks

OnTheMove said:
I asked the garge to estimate depreciation but refused due to their relationship with that Insurance Co.
This makes no sense. How come they can estimate the value of the repair, but not the value of the depreciation?

I have a vague memory of a 'standard' of 10% of the cost of the repair being allowed for depreciation from many years back.

In general depreciation allowances offered in this type of scenario are not generous to say the least. On the assumption that rates given have been queried or challenged many times over the years, I would doubt if the insurance company will agree to a offer a higher rate unless in special circumstances.

My partner was in a similar situation last year. A car sales guy test driving a car crashed into his then 4 month old Hyundai Coupe. Like your situation he was only offered 10% of value of repairs for depreciation which would have worked out @ €300.00.

He got on to his insurance broker and car dealer who both told him that this is what the insurance company would like to pay, but that he should look for 10% of the value of the car and negotiate from there. He also rang a few other garages who agreed with this.

My advise would be to keep hounding them. My partner eventually got €2000.00 from them (for depreciation and a bit for inconvenience they caused him - long story!).

Another thing you could do is phone some car dealerships and put the following question to them "how much would you give me for my xxx car 2002, no crashes" then ask them how much would you get for it if it had been in a crash amounting to €4k in repairs - use this when negotiating with the insurance company.

The AA have independant assessors.

Good luck.

Back