Motor car categorization

ronnach

Hi there, I haven't seen this point covered before so here goes......

My son is driving a 1.0L Polo at the minute. He wants to trade up to a 1.3 Corrolla, and claims this would have no effect on the premium (which I pay). However I would have thought he would be leaving the supermini category, and this would attract a penalty?

Am I right or wrong?

Thanks in advance.

i cannot believe you are paying his premium. if he wants/has a car he should be standig on his own two feet and paying himself

Insurance companies I believe have their own categories & bands for cars, based on their claims experience. Only way to know if there's a cost is to ring the insurance co.

i cannot believe you are paying his premium. if he wants/has a car he should be standig on his own two feet and paying himself

Hi nediaaa, he is a student, travels in to college every day from home, and there is no public transport.

Insurance companies I believe have their own categories & bands for cars, based on their claims experience. Only way to know if there's a cost is to ring the insurance co.

Yes it is based on a combination of items, claims experience on that model of car, safety features on the vehicle, power to weight ratio ... and the list could go on.

As tiger says, only way to know for sure if to ring the insurance provider

Back