Car breakdown cover

Jazz01

Just wondering on people's thoughts regarding car breakdown cover.

I moved over to AA last year for my car insurance, and they don't offer breakdown cover as part of their car insurance policy. Most other companies, offer it as part of their cover, albeit limited in the terms & conditions.

AA, at the time of car insurance renewal, were offering me a (very) limited offer of €89 per year for breakdown cover (normally €99 per year) when taking out a car insurance policy with them, which I didn't avail of.

Now, looking online, a number of companies offer breakdown cover (separate to any insurance policy), ranging from €59 to €99 per year - for similar enough cover.

So, anyone have such a separate policy? Any recommendations for such - especially if you have made use of the cover - call out times / level of service etc.

My own car is 6 years old and looked after - regular services etc., but like most insurance, it's always "just in case..."

A family member had their car break down 140 miles from home, they had breakdown cover, the car was recovered to a local garage in a nearby town and they stayed overnight in a modest hotel with a steak dinner, the car was repaired the next day and they continued their journey, they were flexible with time and regarded it as an adventure, all costs were covered except for the cost of the part, not sure about the labour.

The car has massive miles on it but they still have it six months later, reassured by the breakdown cover.

Back