Car Accident and Whiplash

S

sarsfield06

My partner was recently involved in car accident where she was hit from the rear. The third party was at fault. The third party is keen to compensate my partner without going through insurance as she is a young driver. However the car is a not repairable as repair estimate is €2,000 to €2,500 and car value is less. However of more concern is the whiplash injury sustained, this has been assessed and is quiet serious. My question is should she accept a settlement outside insurance or go through insurance. Also I'm not sure what settlement to accept as will have out of pocket expenses, pain and discomfort, loss of car, loss of earnings as both me and partner have had to take time off work. Also at this stage it is very hard to know how long lasting the injury will be to estimate extent of compensation.

This is an insurance job as there are medical issues involved which cannot be quantified by a lay person.

You should report the accident as soon as possible to your insurance company & ask them how best to proceed i.e medicals, loss assesor for car etc...

Completely agree with Welfarite...

While I would try to accommodate someone with a property claim (e.g. a ding), when there is bodily injury you definitely need medical reports etc. It's unfortunate for the young driver - but you need to make sure everything is covered.

Same again, go through your insurance. They can talk to their Insurers about paying the claim themselves and that's between them and their insurers not your concern. Being nice about it will usually mean you loose out in the long run. And keep a record of all your outlays as you go along, loss of earnings, doctor visits, taxi fairs etc.

Thanks for the advice, I think it is going through the insurer now as all advice has said the same thing, it is alot less messy than having to deal with an individual also.

Same again, go through your insurance. They can talk to their Insurers about paying the claim themselves and that's between them and their insurers not your concern.

Actually, it's going to be the other driver's insurer who pays out in the end, so you want to make sure that the accident has been reported to them. If you explain to the other driver that there are going to be medical costs involved, they will probably realise they will need to go through their insurer.

Back