capital losses for our previous primary home turned rental

sm7940333

Following on from a recent post, I am hoping you can help clarify the calculation of the capital losses for our previous primary home turned rental property.

Timelines: We lived in a property for 6 years & 10 months, then rented it out for 8 years & 5 months before selling it. So, it was rented 55% of the time we owned the house.

Capital Losses: We purchased the house at the worst time possible - peak 2006! We also did spend heavily on renovating the house as well as adding an extension (costs captured under Enhancement Expenses). Details in the table below:

Selling Price:​
€ 299,999
Less Original Purchase Price:​
€ 345,000​
Less Purchase Expenses:​
€ 13,924​
Less Selling Expenses:​
€ 8,996​
Less Enhancement Expenses:​
€ 55,476​
Capital Losses:
-€ 123,398

Can I claim to full capital loss? Or is the capital loss proportional to the time as a rental? So 55% of the €123k = €68k.

Any other considerations?

Thanks in advance.

You’re deemed to have lived there for an extra 12 months, so you need to adjust your percentage, but other than that your approach is broadly correct.

Thanks Gordon.

So I round up the 6 yr & 10 months to 7 yr & 10. Do I round down the 8 years & 5 months then by 12 months?

Less Enhancement Expenses:​
€ 55,476​
When were the enhancements carried out? When you lived in the property or when it was let?

I can't find the precise reference, and am subject to correction here, but if the improvement works were carried out before the period of rental then I don't think they can be used to increase the loss.

Back