Capital Gains Tax loss on sale of shares and indexation of cost (pre 2003)

Duke123

I purchased bank shares in 1998.
I sold them in 2014.

The result is a loss.

In calculating the cost of the shares, do I apply the relevant indexation factor ?

The reason I ask is that I was told by an advisor that indexation factors should not be applied when the shares are sold at a loss.

Thanks,

Duke

I purchased bank shares in 1998.
I sold them in 2014.

The result is a loss.

In calculating the cost of the shares, do I apply the relevant indexation factor ?

The reason I ask is that I was told by an advisor that indexation factors should not be applied when the shares are sold at a loss.

Thanks,

Duke
Indexation can't be used to create or increase a loss.

Clarkey,

thanks for clarification,

Duke.

Hi folks sorry to break into the converstaion.
But if the shares were sold in 2014 shoudn't the tax matters had been sorted in 2014-2015 ?
This is a genuine question from a neophyte , I was a bit puzzled when I read about the dates.
It's related to many years ago so why worry now ? Is there a underlying reason ?

Thanks
Seamus

Capital losses are carried forward and can be deducted from subsequent gains, presumably the OP is asking in contemplation of realising a gain, or to ascertain the value of his historic losses.

Re Seamus and torblednam :

torblednam is correct : a review of losses and I had thought multiplier could be utiliised with losses or gains.
Re possible gain, i understand that, as of now, losses can be carried forward for one’s lifetime
and that Ireland is one of very few countries where losses are allowed to be carried forward as such............

Back