Capital Gains Tax if Moving Back North

E

Eoghan04

I lived in Dublin for 5 years however have relocated to the North again where I am originally from.I have recently sale aggreed my house in Dublin and are waiting for contracts to be signed. Are the proceeds from the sale of this house subject to Capital Gains Tax both North and South of the border or which Jurisdiction if they are brought North. Personally I do not think they subject in the South as it was my sole residence. The house was bought in September 2001. Any useful replies would be much appreciated.

I lived in Dublin for 5 years however have relocated to the North again where I am originally from.I have recently sale aggreed my house in Dublin and are waiting for contracts to be signed. Are the proceeds from the sale of this house subject to Capital Gains Tax both North and South of the border or which Jurisdiction if they are brought North. Personally I do not think they subject in the South as it was my sole residence. The house was bought in September 2001. Any useful replies would be much appreciated.

There is no CGT on the disposal of sole resident. So you wont pay irish tax. In relation to UK CGT, as you are out of UK for complete 5 years, so there should'nt be CGT if you relocate to North. Its a bit complex, I would suggest that sought professional advice. For more info check this link. Especially check the notes 8.5, 8.4 and 8.6 on this link.

Back