Capital Gain on Probate Property Offsetting against Share Loss

dublinwoman72

I am shortly going to be a part beneficiary on the sale of a property and other assets belonging to my deceased father. I will be above the lifetime class one inheritance threshold of € 335k. The property has gone up in value since the probate valuation last year so I understand that my share of the sale above the probate valuation will be subject to capital gains tax rather than inheritance tax. I have a significant loss on share disposals during the 2008 Crash. Can I offset the capital gain on the property against the capital loss on the shares in this scenario ?

This advice sounds wrong to me. If the property is being disposed of by the Estate, the Estate is liable to CGT on the increase in value between date of death and date of disposal. The Estate is not entitled to an annual allowance on gains. The net proceeds after disposal are distributed to the beneficiaries. If the Estate was to make a loss on disposal, those losses do not transfer to the beneficiaries for offset against other gains. The two transactions are completely unrelated. The OP is partially correct - the Estate pays CGT, the beneficiary pays CAT

I was assuming that the property was being left to the beneficiaries and then sold by them. The original post is not clear on the relevant details.

Back