Can't check BOI credit card online since revamp to BOI website!

kirian

Hi,

Here is my situation. I used to have my current account and credit card with Bank of Ireland. Then last year after getting fed up with the charges and poor service from BOI I switched my current account to get free banking with PTSB. However I kept the BOI issued credit card.
Afer I closed my current account I was still able to check my credit card account on the BOI Banking365 wesite and have checked it regularly over the last year.

I just found out that I can no longer check my credit card account online since BOI revamped their Banking on-line website. After much waiting on the phone line and frustration I was told that if you don't have a current account with BOI you can't check your credit card account online, i.e. it is impossible to just register a credit card account with BOI. How annoying is that?

As I don't think I'm going to open a new current account with BOI just so I can check my credit card account online I'm on the look out for a new credit card. I'm thinking the Pigsback one maybe. Must check if I can check the account online.

My daughter logged on yesterday to check her account and found the new website and, thought it was a fraudelent site, as there was no notice given (that we can see ) that a change was imminent. Would they not have thought of notifying people to expect a different page?

Pretty much the same thing happened when I changed from a standard BoI card to a Gold card (I had closed my account in the meantime). I was then cut off from online banking. I think it is the same for all banks that issue credit cards.

I think MBNA (Pigsback.com card issuer) have an online facility, so that should allow you to view your Pigsback.com balance online.

kirian said:
I was told that if you don't have a current account with BOI you can't check your credit card account online, i.e. it is impossible to just register a credit card account with BOI. How annoying is that?
Very. And not 100% accurate — I only have an old savings a/c with them and I can access my BoI-issued MasterCard a/c (but not my BoI-issued Amex one).

Tbh I don't think much of the new layout, visually speaking — and I don't see that they've added a whole lot in terms of extra functionality — no facility for cross-border/international transfers, afaics, and even to add a new payee within Ireland you've still to 'phone them... :rolleyes:

My other half has a Zinc card (Ulster Bank) and he can't check the balance online either (he has a BOI current a/c)

I recently switched from a BOI credit card to a Pigsback credit card and I prefer the MBNA online facility to the BOI one.

kirian said:
Hi,

Here is my situation. I used to have my current account and credit card with Bank of Ireland. Then last year after getting fed up with the charges and poor service from BOI I switched my current account to get free banking with PTSB. However I kept the BOI issued credit card.
Afer I closed my current account I was still able to check my credit card account on the BOI Banking365 wesite and have checked it regularly over the last year.

I just found out that I can no longer check my credit card account online since BOI revamped their Banking on-line website. After much waiting on the phone line and frustration I was told that if you don't have a current account with BOI you can't check your credit card account online, i.e. it is impossible to just register a credit card account with BOI. How annoying is that?

As I don't think I'm going to open a new current account with BOI just so I can check my credit card account online I'm on the look out for a new credit card. I'm thinking the Pigsback one maybe. Must check if I can check the account online.

Simple answer.

Close BOI credit card.
Open PTSB one (at about 10% less).

BOI rates are one of if not the highest. A transfer to a lower rate like the PTSB ice card will save you as much as 50%.

The only response to poor service like this is to move your business elsewhere.

lff12 said:
Simple answer.

Close BOI credit card.

BOI rates are one of if not the highest. A transfer to a lower rate like the PTSB ice card will save you as much as 50%.

Yes, I'm definitely going to close the BOI credit card. The charges don't really bother me as I always pay it in full each month so never get charged anyway.

lff12 said:
Simple answer.

Close BOI credit card.

Is it possible to have online access to a ptsb credit card without having a current account facility with ptsb?

y_reilly said:
I recently switched from a BOI credit card to a Pigsback credit card and I prefer the MBNA online facility to the BOI one.

Careful with T&C of MBNA - Cash Advances when abroad with a UK MBNA card attract fees even when you are in credit. Pain in the neck!

y_reilly said:
My other half has a Zinc card (Ulster Bank) and he can't check the balance online either (he has a BOI current a/c)

Even if you have an Ulster Bank current account they do not have any facility to view your Ulster Bank credit card online (despite a recent revamp of their online banking).

Just a quick update. When talking to another custiomer service agent on the phone I was informed that I could still check my credit card account online if I go through the Northern Ireland/Great Britain login on the BOI 365 online site.

I just checked it and it works like the old site. So good news there.

I think I'm still going to change to a Pigsback card though because I think the rewards are worth it. It's just inertia holding me back now.

Back