Cancelling Services

Discussion in 'Consumer Issues and Rights' started by roker, Oct 4, 2017.

1. roker

roker Frequent Poster

This is crazy, I am moving house and found this contradiction between service. When I wrote to Sky to cancel my service they told me they do not accept it in writing and I must telephone the customer services, when I telephone Aviva to cancel the house insurance, they told me to write to them

2. newirishman

newirishman Frequent Poster

The (ridiculous) reason that Sky wants you to call them is so they can talk you out of the cancellation, trying to persuading you to stay on by throwing various offers at you. They are, to be fair, very good at that so when you call them just keep interrupting that poor person on the other side of the phone and tell them you don't care about any of their offers but want to cancel right now.
    The are a bit of a pain in the neck with that stupid procedure.
    It is, however, clearly described in their T&C's.

3. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Frequent Poster

There is no statutory basis for the apparent contradiction; they're just internal policies, with Sky's one in place for exactly the reason outlined by newirishman.

4. odyssey06

odyssey06 Frequent Poster

It should be a legal requirement that all service providers above a certain turnover must provide an online form on their website to allow customers to register cancellation requests and receive a cancellation request reference number & timestamp.

5. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

There may be another reason - check the SKY phone number. Is it a premium rate line, 0818 or similar. They may want you to pay to listen to the sales pitch ("hold please while I talk to my manager to get YOU a special once-off deal!!")

6. roker

roker Frequent Poster

Not so good if you are running up a bill on your mobile. First the wait to contact someone, then the :we won't take no for an answer: over and over

7. Leo

Leo Moderator

People need to spend more time looking into details such as this prior to signing up for a service, and raising any concerns at that stage. These companies will only start to change their practices if they cost them business.

8. roker

roker Frequent Poster

I cannot get SKY to disconnect even though I am no longer in the house, I have talked to 3 Cust service rep sent e!ectronic request twice. As a result the new tenant cannot connect their service. I cannot stop payment because it is taken from my debit card

9. roker

roker Frequent Poster

I have now contacted SKY 9 times, I was told Disconnected would be the 10th then the 24th and finally after giving out to a supervisor they disconnect on the 12th. I still cannot stop them from over charging if they do, the bank ignored my 2 letters to stop my debit card payment