Cancelling part of building job

fme

Hi,
I'll keep as brief as possible.
we engaged a builder to replace a glass roof with a solid roof in conservatory, replace existing glass, add new window separately into another room, and a fourth part, of replacing glass and frames in a small utility room extension.
There is no contract, only an invoice with the four separate items listed.
We have had the first three jobs done, but these we feel are to a poor standard and despite some items being partially fixed up, we do not want them to do the final job.
Currently we owe the final payment, which is a bit more than the quote for the 4th job.
The builder is looking for a cancellation fee plus payment for glass and parts he has already purchased for the 4th job.
We are also looking at getting a surveyor in to check existing work for other things that we may not be aware of.
My main question is, are we obliged to pay anything for the now unwanted piece of work?
Thanks.

Get the surveyor in first to check quality of work and that it confirms to current building reguations.
If that shows poor building standards then you have the amunition to negotiate the exit of the builder.

If he has bought the extra bits you could negotiate buying them from him but you may need to ne firm and tell him why you're not happy to have him do the work. I have never heard of a cancelation fee nor ever paid one but I did tell a roofer to take a hike once after he agreed a job with my elderly mother.

Back