Cancelling home insurance

badgambler

Paid my house insurance yesterday, renewal date was 1st April.

Allianz quote €444 (paid), their online quote was €383 and 123.ie quoted €325.

Can I cancel the policy (still with 14 days)?

When you first joined the company, like most you are given a 14 day cooling off period that allows you to change yer mind and get a full refund, with renewal, I'm not so sure if the same applies, give em a ring!

Worst case scenario, you canx the policy and you would be charged to Time on Risk, i.e just charged for the X number of days you spent on cover. Pro rata refund woud apply

However ask about cancellation charges before you do anything. Also enquire if they charge "Short Term Rates" STR's are a thing of the past, but some companies still do employ STR's . i.e Canx a policy after 2 weeks, you are charged for 1 months cover.

You will need to canx the policy in writing, usually requires you do post in written request and return f the policy schedule, most companies will accept a fax thou.

make sure the policy is the same.

My house insurance is 410 this year but that includes all risks and accidental damage, contents e.t.c.

you may be getting a basic policy and the company may have a reputation for not paying out quickly. It's all fine till you try to make a claim.

Back