cancel a credit card

anns

Hi
I have an ulster bank credit card which I have been trying to cancel since 2006. They told me that I would have to pay the government fee in 2007 which I did when the statement arrived in 2007. But after this the bills for zero balance kept coming. This year, I got another bill for a government fee, i ignored it for a couple of months but the charges kept adding up - 8.50 per month. I rang and the lady said - pay off the full amount and the card would definitely be cancelled which I did. That was June. In July I get another statement with another government fee on it dated July - originally they were dated April. They added on another fee for not paying in August. I rang them up and the lady was anything but pleasent. I said I was not paying it and she said that my credit rating would be affected. I told her I have been trying to cancel the card since 2006 and she would not listen. Her final response was to write a letter explaining this to them which I have. But I'm worried about my credit rating. Can they give me a bad credit rating since it is there fault or do I have any avenue to ensure this does not happen.

I have my mortgage and bank accounts with the Ulster Bank and I am disgusted with this treatment.

Help !!

How exactly did you attempt to cancel the card? In writing?

If you feel that you did enough to make it clear to them that you wanted to cancel the card and close the account and they failed to do this then make a formal written complaint about the matter. If they do not sort it out then take it to the [broken link removed].

If you are worried about your credit rating then you can check your ICB credit history records for a small fee to see if anything related to this matter is recorded.

Back