can you get long covid after vaccination?

The current pfizer was manufactured to deal with the original Wuhan strain. There is no point in getting a booster unless pfizer adjust the cocktail ( I am not aware of any definite plans by Pfizer to do this). However I would urge you to watch Prof Andrew Pollards (of the Oxford Vaccine group) interview in full yesterday. Not the versions on channel 4 or skynews in which they edited the key messages. Herd immunity is impossible. A new variant will inevitably emerge which will be better at transmitting. The impression was he was throwing in the towel on the vaccine. Viruses continuously mutate. The advantageous strains evolve with the best characteristics e.g tranmissibility or antibody avoidance. In my view the vaccines cannot be manufactured and administered to suit the variants fast enough. We are still in a situation where much of the third world is unvaccinated. To start giving out booster shots in that context would be unethical in my view. However there are other unethical approaches going on right now so it's entirely possible that governments may decide to give third shots of the original version. In my view we need several good treatments. Vaccines are not going to provide a solution for all of society.

All the talk about efficacy is amusing in light of real world experience....
It reminds me of this ......

“According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyways. Because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.”

So follows our recent, small sample,real-world experience.....
2 Adults fully vaxxed, Pfizer, by mid June
Teen 1 J+J vaxxed 1 shot by mid July
Teen 2 too young to register for Vax ( now registered)
Teen 2 and 4 friends contract virus in a daytime social,alcohol-free, environment ( I include this info to dampen any righteous indignation)
Teen 2 has symptoms and is housebound and ill etc for 2 weeks. Now testing negative.
Adult 1 develops symptoms,tests positive and is ill for approx 1 week. Now testing negative.
Adult 2 develops symptoms,tests positive and is ill for approx 1 week. Not testing negative yet.
Teen 1 still symptom-free and taking antigen tests daily.

Vaccines do NOT prevent you from contracting Covid, that's not their purpose.
Get vaccinated.

The current pfizer was manufactured to deal with the original Wuhan strain. There is no point in getting a booster unless pfizer adjust the cocktail ( I am not aware of any definite plans by Pfizer to do this). However I would urge you to watch Prof Andrew Pollards (of the Oxford Vaccine group) interview in full yesterday. Not the versions on channel 4 or skynews in which they edited the key messages. Herd immunity is impossible. A new variant will inevitably emerge which will be better at transmitting. The impression was he was throwing in the towel on the vaccine. Viruses continuously mutate. The advantageous strains evolve with the best characteristics e.g tranmissibility or antibody avoidance. In my view the vaccines cannot be manufactured and administered to suit the variants fast enough. We are still in a situation where much of the third world is unvaccinated. To start giving out booster shots in that context would be unethical in my view. However there are other unethical approaches going on right now so it's entirely possible that governments may decide to give third shots of the original version. In my view we need several good treatments. Vaccines are not going to provide a solution for all of society.

I'm not sure what edits you refer to but this is one of his actual statements:
"We're not seeing a problem with breakthrough severe disease... If there was any falloff in protection, it is something which will happen gradually, and it will be happening at a point where we can pick it up and be able to respond."

By respond here I assume he means come out with a tweaked vaccine booster to counter the variant. And we should be much quicker next time as the vaccine production capacity is in place. Coming up with a vaccine recipe was quick last time. It's the testing and production that was slow first time round.

There is lots of research going into treatments at the moment but there is no guarantee there of a magic bullet either.

I don't disagree with his point:
"Doses that are available that could be used for boosting or for childhood programmes are much better deployed for people who will die over the next six months rather than that very unlikely scenario of a sudden collapse in the programmes in countries that are highly vaccinated."

The debate about 'reaching herd immunity' or even what is herd immunity seems to have gone into a bit of a rabbit hole:
Giving evidence to MPs on Tuesday, Prof Sir Andrew Pollard said the fact that vaccines did not stop the spread of Covid meant reaching the threshold for overall immunity in the population was “mythical”. “The problem with this virus is [it is] not measles. If 95% of people were vaccinated against measles, the virus cannot transmit in the population,” he told the all-party parliamentary group (APPG) on coronavirus. “The Delta variant will still infect people who have been vaccinated. And that does mean that anyone who’s still unvaccinated at some point will meet the virus … and we don’t have anything that will [completely] stop that transmission.”

If Covid becomes endemic and that looks a real possibility, then the healthcare system needs to adjust.

There are a lot of good practices which have taken place in the acute hospitals and in nursing homes which need to continue. The streaming of infected patients, high quality PPE, employment of staff to constantly clean down areas of patient contact, all these things should, probably, have been in place before the pandemic. They should certainly not be scaled back.

Plentiful access to oxygen supplements for hospitalised patients and ability to scale up ICU, when required.

There also needs to be a proper isolation programme for vulnerable people, fully funded by the state.

The best advice, if Covid is going to be unavoidable, is to lose weight, eat well, do some excercise and stop smoking.
But that's always been the best advice.

Oh, and get vaccinated.

Yet, we have been told by government that they will always be open and truthful to us regarding Covid. As someone who only had the choice of the AstraZeneca vaccine, I would be concerned and actively looking for a booster to provide further protection.
The government don't have the data required to publish an accurate review here. Saying nothing is better than making stuff up.

The best advice, if Covid is going to be unavoidable, is to lose weight, eat well, do some excercise and stop smoking.
But that's always been the best advice
Even though, as you say it's always the best advice, it's still good to point it out.

Back