Can you drive a second hand imported car from the UK while you are waiting for the NCT (in order to pay VRT)?

GreenGrassqqq

Hi can someone tell me if you can drive a second hand imported car from the uk while you are waiting for the nct (in order to pay VRT)? We would plan on having insurance and tax sorted first.

Cart before horse there I'm afraid. You must pay the VRT and get an Irish reg no before you can tax the car. You can of course get insurance on the UK reg or on the VIN code of the vehicle and you must have insurance to drive it on the road in Ireland.

Apart from getting an Irish reg no to tax the car as part of the VRT/NCT process, this also measures emissions which dictates the VRT amount of the car.

Also beware of the amount of days Insurance company will cover you while car is on UK plates driving in Ireland. My policy was strict on this so don’t put registration process on the long finger.

Be wary, there is another bit that says YOU MUST register it at NCT within 7 days ie get a date for VRT payment. Here is the link

Back