Can you be prosecuted for using your shpping bag when no supermarket baskets ?

Emiso

I've noticed that there are no baskets in the German discount supermarkets and the trollies are huge.

As a result, lots of people seem to use their shopping bags as a basket when buying a few things.

Can you be prosecuted for this or is it only an offence if you walk out the door without paying ?

Apologies for typo in the title. There doesn't seem to be any way of editing the title.

No, but the shp(!) might have a policy on it and ask you to leave if they want. In a supermarket theft only occurs when you attempt to leave without paying, or consume the prooduct on the premises without intending to pay.

I do mine with a bag all the time.

No, but the shp(!) might have a policy on it and ask you to leave if they want. In a supermarket theft only occurs when you attempt to leave without paying, or consume the prooduct on the premises without intending to pay.

I do mine with a bag all the time.

I think the policy in Aldi and Lidl is to allow it. Shortly after my nearest branch of Aldi opened they asked me to put my empty bags on the belt, presumably so that they could verify that they were indeed empty. They don't do it now, nor did they ever do it in the Lidl I frequently visit.

I am amused by the number of shoppers who do not have bags, and start their shopping by hunting for an empty box.

I do it all the time.

Have to say though I kind of make a bit of a song and dance of completely emptying the bag at checkout almost to the point of turning it upside down and shaking it just to prove to any over zealous store security that I'm not attempting to nick anything.

Back