Can you ask for a quotation breakdown?

pingin

Last week I asked a carpenter for a quote to install a laminate floor in a small room (14' x 12') and to build some simple cabinets at floor level. He came back with a combined quote for the two and the price was a lot higher than I expected. I suppose I should have asked for separate quotes for both jobs and will do so now.

Would I be entitled to ask for a detailed costing (not including his profit margin of course!) rather than just a single figure?

How much should I be paying for laying a laminate floor in a room like this? I've already bought the flooring, so it's only labour costs.

Yes, you can certainly ask.

Previous threads mention a range of €10-15 per sqm, but then factors such as awkward room shape, the need to remove or trim skirting and architraves will involve additional costs. Is there underlay in place or are you supplying this? How will he finish edges?

You need to get a couple more quotes to see what other recommended carpenters are quoting for the same work, and the more detailed the spec you provide the easier it will be to compare quotes.

Thanks for the quick reply Leo. The room is new, about 14 sqm. The skirting is down already but he plans to add 1/4" round bead at the bottom. There's one small awkward area at the door but other than that it's straightforward.

I'm supplying the laminate and the underlay.

Getting more quotes seems to be the way to go. It's surprising though how few people are interested. It seems there are plenty of bigger and better-paying jobs available.

These guys have plenty of work and if you want them, you pay. By all means get another quote but don't be surprised if they say they do the full job or they do nothing and as for breaking it down into seperate quotes i'd say you've a better chance of winning the Lotto. The job is simply not worth it to them.

Thanks noproblem. The man I'm dealing with is a small builder and he'd enjoying doing outdoor work at the moment. On the plus side, he produces good work, so it might be a good investment. I'll try to get two more quotes if I can.

Adding beading is a bodge in my opinion, but is is a lot easier than doing the job right and trimming around the edges.

Adding beading is a bodge in my opinion, but is is a lot easier than doing the job right and trimming around the edges.

You mean trimming the laminate boards? That would look better all right.

You mean trimming the laminate boards? That would look better all right.

I mean trimming the bottom of all skirting and architraves so the laminate slides in underneath it. Laminate flooring needs some room around the edges to expand and contract, not as much as hardwood flooring, but it does need some. Trimming the skirting and architrave takes extra work and access to the right tools, but it looks so much better.

The best way do install any type of flooring is to take off the skirting boards and trim the architraves to the thickness of the flooring. The beading looks unprofessional and when refitted, the skirting helps to keep the floor in the right place.

Before any work is started, the floor must be level. I don't work in the trade, I just like having something done right.

Any tradesman worth there salt will have no problem in providing a quotation breakdown.

Last week I asked a carpenter for a quote to install a laminate floor in a small room (14' x 12') and to build some simple cabinets at floor level.
There's one small awkward area at the door but other than that it's straightforward.
No offence but using words like simple and straightforward are a red rag to a bull for builders.

It's probably easier to take the skirting board off, if he doesn't have the tools for trimming them.

elcato, I wouldn't use those words when speaking to the builder, just for descriptive purposes here!

It's probably easier to take the skirting board off, if he doesn't have the tools for trimming them.

Much better alright, but the problem there is in most cases, that will mean more work patching plaster damage and/ or replacing skirting boards. Every now and then you'll see boards that are just tacked on and easy to remove, most cases it's glue or steel nails into masonry that can be impossible to remove without destroying them.

Much better alright, but the problem there is in most cases, that will mean more work patching plaster damage and/ or replacing skirting boards. Every now and then you'll see boards that are just tacked on and easy to remove, most cases it's glue or steel nails into masonry that can be impossible to remove without destroying them.
The importance of pre-planning! I'll hopefully know better next time. Thanks to yourself and everyone else for the advice.

Reactions: Leo
Back