Can I use the word Accounting

homer1

Hi

Im doing accounts now for over 14 years and stated doing exams lately. I have a few exams left to do. I want to work for myself and was wondering can I set up a company called say homer1 accounting and payroll services. Is this ok or do I need to be qualified before i can use the word accounting. I wont be doing audits or anything like that just doing work for small companys in dublin who need some1 to bring their accounts upto date to give to their auditors to check, or to do accounts for sole traders and audit exempt companies.

Hi

Im doing accounts now for over 14 years and stated doing exams lately. I have a few exams left to do. I want to work for myself and was wondering can I set up a company called say homer1 accounting and payroll services. Is this ok or do I need to be qualified before i can use the word accounting. I wont be doing audits or anything like that just doing work for small companys in dublin who need some1 to bring their accounts upto date to give to their auditors to check, or to do accounts for sole traders and audit exempt companies.

Of course you can...you can even call yourself an accountant.
You're just not a chartered accountant.

you can even call yourself an accountant

correct today, however will change over the new few months when the term "accountant" will become protected to a degree through new legislation, I had an email outling this new legislation but must have deleted it, others might be able to point to exact happenings

I am a practising accountant, regulated by the Institute of whom I am a member, and I have grave doubts about how the plans to protect the term "accountant" will ever be enforced. The term is simply too generic at this stage to restrict its use. Even the Taoiseach, whose only accounts work experience was a short period working in the accounts dept of the Mater Hospital, claimed to be "an accountant" in the recent past...

Hi Guys

Thanks for your feedback. I will use the word accounting but wont misled anyone into thinking Im qualified. I have an Business studies degree, aslo Im a qualified Accounting technician (MIATI) , have done the Tax Technician (TMITI) course and also the Payroll Exams (AIPA)so now I want to work for myself as I finish my final accounting exams.

Thanks again for your feedback

Back