Can I trade up if I have €50k of negative equity in my apartment?

H

healyfam

Hi I bought a 1 bed apartment 4years ago for 186.000 euro paid approx 20.000 deposit and have not got tracker morg. I am a public servant and am paying my morgtage without difficulty. My income would allow me to increase my mortage. I would dearly love a house but I am in big negative equity, my apartment is now worth about 100.000. If I had stayed at home and was now looking to move out I would be able to afford a nice 3 bed house but because I bought the apartment I think I am caught in the catch 22 situation. I see this as my only opportunity to get a house with prices so low but if I wait until I have my morg redused to allow me not to move without owing a fortune to bank, I imagine house prices will have risen again and I will be stuck here again. Initial plan was to stay in apartment for 2 to 3 years make a small profit to use as deposit on a house, this is now of course gone totally pear shaped.
Do I have any options.
1) would owe about 50.000 to building soc if I sold apartment for 105.000
2) Would have no deposit for house
3) If I saw house for say 220.000 how much would bank give me.
4) I am 32year old female single on approx 40.000 per year.
Hope this gives you all the info you need.
Mary

Is this summary correct?

apartment value| 105
mortgage|166
negative equity|61
savings|11
personal net negative equity|50

Let's say that you see a house for €220k.
The costs of selling and buying would be a further 10k.
Assume it's a new house, so that there would be no stamp duty.

Assume you are allowed sell your home.

You would then have a mortgage of €280k. This is 7 times your salary. It seems too much.

You don't have to move, so it seems the right strategy is to work hard on getting the negative equity down. Pay your savngs off your mortgage as the interest rate on your savings would be less than you are paying on your mortgage.

Alternatives
Sell the apartment and buy a house with a friend. My gut feeling is that you would be better off in your apartment.

Back