can I temporarily Transfer my car insurance to a car I don't own?

ricta

Hi All,

my son has bought his first car, he does not have it insured yet and wants to move it from the dealer to home, across the country. Could I transfer my insurance to his car for the day and drive it for him. I think that I can't because I don't own it, but I don't know what defines an "insurable interest" or if I would have one in his car. Any ideas?
thanks
Richard

I've temporarily transferred my insurance to cars and vans that I don't own a number of times, never been an issue. I have regular 3rd party fire and theft with FBD but I don't think it'd make any difference who you were with. Give your insurer a call and they'll transfer it for you there and then.

Thanks, did FBD know that you were transferring to a car you didn't own?
R.

My Axa policy allows me to drive any car as long as I have the permission of the owner. The insurance company does not have to be notified each time. I thought this was a fairly standard feature of a fully comprehensive policy but I could be wrong.

I thought this was a fairly standard feature of a fully comprehensive policy but I could be wrong.
It often comes with certain criteria. For Axa you must be over 25. So do check your Ts&Cs before jumping in the car. Even if you do have to transfer, it shouldn't be a problem. A quick phonecall will sort it all out and let you know exactly where you stand.

My Axa policy allows me to drive any car as long as I have the permission of the owner. The insurance company does not have to be notified each time. I thought this was a fairly standard feature of a fully comprehensive policy but I could be wrong.

This normally only covers you 3rd party. Not sure how this works for the owners insurance (i.e. if its covered fully comp for someone unnamed driving it).

The driving other cars clause usualy stipulates that the other car is insured, to stop people using this clause to have 2 cars and only insure one.

As above driving of other cars extension will not provide the cover as the other car needs to be insured. Just ask to do a temporary substitution from your car to your son's for the day, most companys will do this, although some will only allow a garage car to be substituted.

Back