Can i sign on when i am starting a new business?

J

joejoe123

Hi all,
I am new to this forum but have found it very helpful in the past so i wonder can anyone help. I am about to be made redundant and i am looking to start an on-line business. This will mean me registering a new company. This business is likely to take a few months to get up and on-line so i will have no income from this for a while, in the mean time will i be able to sign on? I have been working for over 20years and have never had to sign on before so it's all a bit new to me. (I'm sure i'm not the only one)

Thanks

I think that, unless you are actively looking for work, you can't sign on. And if you are putting all your energy into starting a new business, you probably won't be actively looking for work. It's quite tough really (IMO) as people should be encouraged to start up their own businesses and Revenue/SW should realise that there may be no income coming in during the start up phase.

Hi,

as it is going to be an online business surely this can be operated evenings say or at the weekend? This wouldn't then interfere with Joe Joe spending his days actively looking for work. If and when the business starts to produce an income only then would he need to declare his earnings?

Back