Can I share identifiable pictures of people (minors) in whatsapp group without consent

Bilbo1

Hi AAM community,

I would like to pick your brains on this...

Small private gated development with private houses and common areas.
One resident kid is bringing over a number of non-resident local kids. They engage in harassing a neighbor (bang at their windows/door, ring bell, loiter outside their property). I have been advised it is better not to engage the parents of the resident kid directly. I don't know the parents or addresses of the other non-resident kids.

If I take footage or pictures of the kids engaging in this behavior in the common areas, is it lawful for me to share them in the "neighborhood alert" whatsapp group. The aim is for them to be identified and to make the parents aware of the situation being created by their kids.
Do you know if I am opening myself to any legal action against me by doing this?

Of course, feel free to share other approaches that you might have found effective in such situations...

Thanks!

These days with GDPR, Data Protection and everything else my gut instinct is that you would be getting yourself into a whole lot of trouble if you were to do this. There is a reason why someone has told you not to engage with the parents.

It sounds as if a much better approach would be to contact your local Community Garda and seek their advice or help before you do anything else. Its all very frustrating but best to cover yourself.

if I am opening myself to any legal action against me by doing this
Yes - particularly since they are minors and it is not your house being targeted.

The neighbour being harrassed needs to take action; if talking to the family is not a runner then Gardai is the next port of call.

You can take photos and video in public spaces as long as you're not harrassing anyone. Just don't share/publish them with anyone other than the Gardai if they are idenifiable from those photos and videos without getting permission from the individuals or, in this case as they are minors, their parents.
If you video them breaking the law you can bring it to the Gardai.

We had some egg throwing kids a couple of years ago - a small gang of 6 or 7, 12/13 year olds. They were caught red handed by myself and my husband who marched over to their house to talk to the parents - they weren't home. We were going to return when, about 15 minutes later, all of the young boys turned up on our doorstep, heads down and scared we were going to tell their parents when they got home... which we were. They offered to clean up the egg mess, mow our lawn and any other jobs we needed doing - suddenly they were boy scouts but they were genuinely repentant because I think they were more scared of their parents than of us. We never told their parents and we haven't seen them since - they're still keeping their heads down.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your insights. It is difficult to keep a cool head when one is frustrated. You are right about doing things proper and contacting the Gardai.
@Smaug~~°w°~~: that's a good story. Part of the challenge is not knowing who the other parents are. Hence my initial idea. Thank you for sharing!

Back