Can I rewire my house and get an Electrician to certify it?

Sammy's Daddy

Just returned from the US and need to get my house rewired (it was disconnected about 12 years ago). It could be Autumn before I get a local electrician to rewire. At the moment am living like Bear Grylls, well a little better off as I bought a generator! Was wondering if I could do the wiring myself (retired tradesman) and get a qualified Sparkie to sign off on it? Any advise welcome.

Very hard get an electrician to sign off on someone else's work! I have an electrician in the family who no longer practices as such, he had one guy who would sign off on his work if he did a bit as they were both meticulous and trusted each other but even now he wouldn't ask him anymore as it's just too big a risk to be asking someone to take! So he'll connect up a few sockets for me but wouldn't wire my extension and I totally understand why.

You’d have too know the sparks well too get him too certify your work.
Unless very well know you’d be best off getting him too do the work and issue the cert.

I understand that. But would not the Electrician test the circuits first? I mean, if the work has been done correctly and he tests it, surely it would be a good earner. If it comes to the worst case scenario, I'll wait until September - when one guy said he could do it then.

Try getting an electrician to wire up a 63 amp consumer unit to one socket and get a cert for this work. Then get your meter reconnected by Electric Ireland. Once you have a meter connection you can then rewire the rest of the house at your leisure.

Last edited:
Try getting an electrician to wire up a 63 amp consumer unit to one socket and get a cert for this work. Then get your meter reconnected by Electric Ireland. Once you have a meter connection you can then rewire the rest of the house at your leisure without any need for further certification.
This is no longer true, the definition of Restricted Electrical Works has made it illegal for non-RECI qualified individuals to carry out the work being discussed here. You can extend an existing circuit, replace a socket, things of that scale, but once you start adding circuits or protection devices you're breaking the law.

Asking a qualified RECI to sign off on someone else's work is now a much more difficult task as they are now putting their own certification, and with it their career, on the line in doing so.

I mean, if the work has been done correctly and he tests it, surely it would be a good earner.
Lots of things work, that doesn't mean they have been done correctly.

Was wondering if I could do the wiring myself (retired tradesman) and get a qualified Sparkie to sign off on it?
As a retired tradesman, you are probably very handy at a lot of things, but you are not an electrician. You've been out of the country and you are retired so it is very unlikely that you are familiar with the standards. It would be very reckless for someone else to sign off on anything you do so it is almost certain that no one would entertain it.

Your best bet is to wait until September or keep searching for another qualified electrician to get it done sooner

OK then. It looks like I've got to wait until Autumn. A local Sparks gave me a provisional date of 2nd week in September. Things ain't too bad as the local gym has showers. And buckets of water keep the toilet moving along. I did not want to hook up the water until the bathroom and kitchen were finished. Am installing a stove next week, so I guess I'm only regressing (timewise) by about 67 years. Thanks to the Rural Electrical Scheme. :)

Back