Can I purchace a property without disclosing my name

turner

I am interested in making an offet for a piece of property but the owner has vowed never to sell to my family (I had nothing to do with a 'dispute' that goes back years). Can I make an offer via a solicitor or someone else(thrusted friend). At what point does my name have to appear and can they stop the sale to me when it does.

Sorry, I did not mean that they would hold the property in Thrust- just that they would make the bids etc and then have my name put on the title when the time for that came.

You can buy a property 'in trust'. Your solicitor will do it for you. But some vendors might not sell in trust to an undisclosed purchaser. If the vendor doesnt object, then it can be done. Usually the purchaser is disclosed after contracts are signed when the vendor can't renege. But sometimes people register in trust.

Could you enter into a legally binding agreement with a third party for them to buy their property in their own name and then you buy it off them subsequently. Some horrible tax consequences (mainly stamp duty) to that but if getting your hands on the property is more important than that cost then maybe you should consider it?

Be careful about getting a trusted friend to buy on your behalf without some kind of legal backup... that's how fights start.

i seem to remember back many years ago that my dad got his solicitor to bid on his behalf as it was a neighbouring farm and there was always an ongoing feud. the poor man next door got a shock when all was revealed. the sale went through because the solicitor said he was acting for some big shot from dublin ! so nobody asked any more questions. my dad just kept in touch by mobile phone. he also used a solicitor that was not known in our area so this also diverted the owners attentions.

I am interested in making an offet for a piece of property but the owner has vowed never to sell to my family (I had nothing to do with a 'dispute' that goes back years). Can I make an offer via a solicitor or someone else(thrusted friend). At what point does my name have to appear and can they stop the sale to me when it does.

Quite apart from the legal issues have you borne in mind that regardless of your past history of not being directly involved you may now be dragged into this dispute as the vendor might be upset at your tactics in hiding your identity? Is the property so unique and valuable to you to make all this worthwhile?

I think that you could set up a trust company - typically an offshore company - the directors of the company will act on your behalf - you are ultimately the beneficial owner of the company but the legal owners of the property are the directors of the company and will take your instructions.

You could instruct the company to purchase the property and instruct to directors to do whatever you wish with the property subsequently.

Quite apart from the legal issues have you borne in mind that regardless of your past history of not being directly involved you may now be dragged into this dispute as the vendor might be upset at your tactics in hiding your identity? Is the property so unique and valuable to you to make all this worthwhile?

Have to agree with this particularly if the land is for a site. If it is are you prepared for neighbours who will possibly make things as hard as possible?

Would it be possible to purchase the property in your wife's maiden name, your mother's maiden name or even your mother-in-law's maiden name in Irish through a solicitor etc? If they can trace that back to you then fair play to them...

I think Planning applications can be made in the name of “the applicant” not necessarily the owner of the property – but I might stand corrected on this one.

BB

my neighbour bought another neighbours house by getting a uk solictor to do the deal... (NEIGHBOURS DIDDENT GET ON) they wernt happy when they found out but could do nothing... isn't that what it means when you see a sale sign with (acquired for client)on it?

Have to agree with this particularly if the land is for a site. If it is are you prepared for neighbours who will possibly make things as hard as possible?

You need to get advice on this and investigate any precedents in law. It seems to me that if I don't wish to sell property to a specific purchaser and have been explicit about that in advance that if the property is acquired by deceit by that party I would have the right to withdraw since given my specification that contract would not hold water. You could get confirmation of that from a legal professional. As a previous poster has pointed out, a vendor from whom the property had been acquired in such a manner would be unlikely to accept the outcome.

Back