can i get any benefits?

K

kate1980

Hello I was on my maternity benefit till 15-02-2008 and now I cant back to work because I dont have anybody to look after my baby, my huby earns 285£ a week he works in NI, we pay rent 100euro a week, I was wonder if I can get any rent allowance or any other benefits?

You should call into your local social welfare office as soon as possible and discuss a claim with the people there. You may be due a payment if you are available for work. If you feel you are unavailable for work, you may be able to sign on for credits, please check with the people in social welfare as credits are important for your future PRSI pension rights. I take it that since you have a small baby you're not actually looking for work, otherwise you'd have gone back to your old job.

The people to speak with about rent allowance are your local health board staff. With anyone you're always better going directly to the people involved such as social welfare or the health board as they will look at your case on an individual basis and help you as appropriate.

If your husband is working and you're not, he will be able to take over your tax free allowance/tax credits, again he should contact the tax people in Northern Ireland if his employer is based there and paying NI tax. This should make a difference to his take home pay.

Hope this helps...good luck!

If your husband lives in the Republic but works in Northern Ireland (and returns at least once a week), he is considered a frontier worker. As his dependants, your family is entitled to a medical card under EU rules unless you are subject to Irish social security legislation.

Crossbordermobility is a North/South Ministerial Council initiative that provides information on the rights and entitlements of those who live/work/study/commute between Ireland and Northern Ireland. There are a number of useful factsheets on the site and an Ask a Question facility that you might find useful.

If you live in the Republic - it might also be useful to contact your nearest Citizens Information Centre for advice on any other payments you may be entitled to.

It might also be useful to contact your County Childcare Committee - just do a search online entering the county + childcare committee and you should find the details. They may have information on free/subsidised childcare services in your area which might help with your childcare issues.

Back