Motor can i get 6 months insurance

sillyaboutmo

hi my insurance is up for renewal this month and I wanted to know if its possible to get 6 months cover as we are moving to Canada in july hopefully.
has any1 ever tried it or heard of it?
ju

hi my insurance is up for renewal this month and I wanted to know if its possible to get 6 months cover as we are moving to Canada in july hopefully.
has any1 ever tried it or heard of it?
ju

Could ye not go down the monthly installment route and cancel after 6 months?

Or just pay for the whole year and cancel after 6 months and claim your rebate minus whatever service charge they apply.

May make sense to compare the cost of the direct debit route versus cancelling after 6 months.

no one does six month cover. You will have to take an annual policy and cancel when leaving. Avoid changing insurer unless the difference is significant as in the first year of insurance a company will apply short-term rates and any refund on cancelling will not be calculated on a daily basis and much lower.

There is 1 insurer on the market that does a 6 month policy. A company called ARB do a young driver policy through brokers and offer it for 6 months.

well 123.ie charge €40 for administration and that would be taken from the rebate. I just thought I could avoid it somehow.

ju

What rebate? I'm not talking about paying in full and then cancelling after 6mths,I'm saying go monthly direct debit and then cancel after 6mths

An insurance company is still providing credit if they do direct debits Seantheman. It doesn't mean that they allow you to pay your insurance on a month to month basis and a person would still have to pay any cancellation fee.

What rebate? I'm not talking about paying in full and then cancelling after 6mths,I'm saying go monthly direct debit and then cancel after 6mths

plus you pay a hefty 30% deposit when you sign up to a dd for insurance. then the rest is divided up into 10 monthly instalments. so they would have to refund you part of the deposit aswel and then they take admin charge. I would be out of pocket.

ju

Ok, let's try a different tack,let's say your renewal for next 12mths is €400. Get back to your present insurer and tell them that you have been ringing around and you can get like for like insurance for €350 but you would rather not have the hassle of changing provider and ask them to match it. You've saved €50, cancel the policy after 6mths and pay the €40 admin that they're looking for and have a couple of pints with the change.

Back