Motor Can I drive my friends uninsured car on my policy?

daithi28

Strange question this but.....

1. I have my own car with my own full comp policy. I can drive other peoples cars on my policy as a 3rd party.
2. My mate has a car he isn't using which is taxed & NCT'd but has no insurance on it. It's just lying up as he is abroad.

So can I drive it on my own policy, covered as a 3rd party? I know I can do this with any car but where I'm uncertain is that normally the other cars would be insured in it's own right.

I mean otherwise, surely people could buy two cars, put one in a mates name and drive under one policy!!

Reason I'm asking is that I want to borrow my mates car while mine is being serviced and resprayed which could take a couple of weeks. I don't want to transfer my insurance onto the other car temporarily as I don't want to have my car sitting in some paint shop with no insurance on it!

Any info would be appreciated.

Hi daithi, the answer differs between insurance compaines. I would ring my insurance company to find out........

Usually, driving other cars refers to other insured cars - but check your own policy to be sure.

Strange question this but.....

1. I have my own car with my own full comp policy. I can drive other peoples cars on my policy as a 3rd party.
2. My mate has a car he isn't using which is taxed & NCT'd but has no insurance on it. It's just lying up as he is abroad.

So can I drive it on my own policy, covered as a 3rd party? I know I can do this with any car but where I'm uncertain is that normally the other cars would be insured in it's own right.

I mean otherwise, surely people could buy two cars, put one in a mates name and drive under one policy!!

Reason I'm asking is that I want to borrow my mates car while mine is being serviced and resprayed which could take a couple of weeks. I don't want to transfer my insurance onto the other car temporarily as I don't want to have my car sitting in some paint shop with no insurance on it!

Any info would be appreciated.

It's not for regular usage - it's for occasional usage.

DOC can be easily taken from someone who abuses as easily as it is given.

You can take the risk - but the Gardai don't take too kindly to this - neither would the insurance company find out.

... Reason I'm asking is that I want to borrow my mates car while mine is being serviced and resprayed which could take a couple of weeks. I don't want to transfer my insurance onto the other car temporarily as I don't want to have my car sitting in some paint shop with no insurance on it! ...
The normal thing to do would be to arrange a temporary substitution onto another vehicle and the car being resprayed / repaired would be covered on the repairer's trade policy while it is on the repairer's premises, but it would not be covered to be driven on public roads.

A vehicle being off the road for up to two weeks "being serviced and resprayed" and the insurance company being left out of the loop might suggest to some a few "porter stains" on the car and a cash-only repair, but as I'm not cynical I wouldn't think that ... :rolleyes:

A vehicle being off the road for up to two weeks "being serviced and resprayed" and the insurance company being left out of the loop might suggest to some a few "porter stains" on the car and a cash-only repair, but as I'm not cynical I wouldn't think that ... :rolleyes:

lol... nothing like that no :p

My car is my pride and joy. Got a scrape on the rear wing 2 weeks ago plus there are stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet (it has a low front). I've decided to get a full body respray done as the car is 12 years old now and has signs of older paint here and there which Joe Public wouldn't notice but I can!

Anyways I rang my insurance co the other day (FBD) and queried whether I could drive the other car and they said yes. They weren't bothered that the other car has no insurance on it. I'm reasonably satisfied, but I'll double check by ringing a second time and talking to somebody else. If it's confirmed then I'll ask for it in writing.

The normal thing to do would be to arrange a temporary substitution onto another vehicle and the car being resprayed / repaired would be covered on the repairer's trade policy while it is on the repairer's premises, but it would not be covered to be driven on public roads.

Nah, I don't want to do that. There's no way I'm leaving my car sitting in a garage/yard lock-up for up to 2 weeks while it's being prepped and painted with no insurance on it! Irrespective what the repairer's trade policy says, I'd prefer to have peace of mind if something happened and the company decided to be awkward. Just speaking from experience..... with another garage in the past!!!

Daithi,
before you deive that car I would ensure that the agreement from FBD was in writing..........never trust front line staff especially with info. provided over the phone...........always get confirmation in writing!

yes as far as you have comp insurance and you are not the car owner ie. not in your name ie. you dont own it... and you have your friend's permision to use it...

regards 3gqb...

Back