can I claim back the cost of perscriptions I have had over the year from the state?

D

DeeJay

Hi

I know my health insurance cover visits to the GP, hospital visits, tests etc, but can I claim back the cost of perscriptions I may have had over the year from the state?

thanks

Re: Perscriptions

Yes, you can claim back tax on prescription at the end of the tax

The form you require is called the MED 1 and its available on the Revenue website:

[broken link removed]

Your health insurance may not cover the full cost of GP Consulants visits etc. You can claim the what is not covered incl any excess on MED 1 form

Is there any advantage in claiming GP and hospital visits through my VHI Health Insurance cover? I have always claimed back all my expenses on a MED 1 Form.

Is there any advantage in claiming GP and hospital visits through my VHI Health Insurance cover? I have always claimed back all my expenses on a MED 1 Form.

Of course! Your health insurance will cover the full cost of many health expenses. Tax relief is only given at your marginal rate, be it 20% or 42% of the cost of your medical expenses. Also there is a threshold of €125 of your health expenses that does not qualify for tax relief. If your claiming health expenses in respect of more than one person, then this threshold rises to €250. You can claim tax relief on Med 1 form on the portion of your health expenses not covered by your health insurance.

Don't forget that one's regular monthly expenditure on prescription drugs etc. is capped at €85 for an individual or family under the .

Thanks Tenacious and ClubMan, il claim as much as possible through my health cover from now on.

Any qualifying expenses not covered by insurance (subject to the normal €125 or €250 limits) still qualify for tax relief. So - claim on your insurance and claim tax relief on any unreimbursed expenses over the relevant limit.

Back