can i change plans for new development?

carter

Hi All,

I have bought a unit in a development, the building hasn't yet started.
I wonder what are my entitlements with regards changing the plans?

From other people in similar suitation I have heard that I may opt not
to take the built-in kitchen / bathroom / tiles, and take an allowance instead.

I dont want to be a fussy customer, saying 'change this, change that, etc', but what are my basic entitlements?
My question is related to changing the location of the kitchen so this
may be a straight no.
Has anyone had similar experience?
I will be asking the Developers these questions, (whenever they decide to call me back!) but i'd like to know what other people do, so i know whats possible.

thanks in advance.
carter

Check the contract - it may specify you cannot change wall layouts, door / window positions, etc. so in a mass development you will be allowed a relatively limited amount of changes to personalise it, so moving the kitchen maybe pushing it. You may be allowed limited changes such as electrical point positions, tiles for splash backs (check what's included). You normally deal directly with the kitchen people, they may be accommodating in terms of what you want but physically moving the kitchen may be a non-no.

It will really depend on how flexible the builders are. When we bought our house we were told no alterations or extras...the kitchen, fireplace,electrical sockets, tiling etc were as per the showhouse.

you could get charged 10k for 1k worth of work , get a full quote in writing and be highly specific ...thats unless you know the builder is established and reputable as some are and will take their word on a price .

In my case there was only pretty limited extras allowed.

New or upgraded electrical sockets/fittings, outside water tap and alarm wiring could be ordered as extras everything else was not flexible.

Back