Can I buy shares direct from a company?

Tintagel

Are there any Irish companies or U.K. companies where you can purchase their shares direct without having to go through a stockbroker......and receive a share certificate?

Thinking of FTSE 100 companies mostly....

No - the only time companies sell shares directly is when they issue new shares and even that is done through a broker by and large.

There may be some that manage their shareholder list inhouse but it would be most unusual

You're not buying a pair of runners...and even then, you wouldn't be able to walk into a Nike warehouse and buy them direct.

There is a whole centralised system in buying stocks that stock brokers are linked too and a clearing house. There are billions of shares traded each day. Going outside the centralised system would cause chaos and the breakdown of the financial markets as no one would know who was trading what.

Found this:

"While many investors choose to buy and sell investments through a brokerage account, you may wonder how you can do so without a broker. In that case, you may want to look into a direct investment plan"

Also

"There are a few circumstances in which a person can buy stock directly from a company. The following is meant to cover some of these instances, which include direct stock purchase plans, dividend reinvestment plans (DRIPs), and employee stock purchase plans (ESPPs)."

Brilliant.
Is this not one of those sneering indirect comments that you were talking about here?

I asked a genuine question that I did not know the answer to but you thought that it was great fun to hide in the pack and support a mocking comment rather than attempt answer the question. Thanks to those who made an effort to answer the question.

Are there any Irish companies or U.K. companies where you can purchase their shares direct without having to go through a stockbroker......and receive a share certificate?

Thinking of FTSE 100 companies mostly....
I think what you're looking for is available, if I've understood correctly.

Instead of dealing directly with the Plc, a lot of them use Share Registrars who offer a share dealing service.

As an example, Diageo use Link. They offer a share dealing service, and you've the option of taking certificated shares.

There are some UK companies that have their own share dealing services, but it's kind of limited to those that want to attract ISA type investors, such as investment trusts, or those PLCs that have a share dealing as part of their normal business. For example I hold shares in a UK bank, and deal with their in-house share dealing but in reality it just happens I've invested in a company that owns a broker.

Some details of the Link example above:

I certainly remember, back in the day, that this was possible when dealing with some of the larger companies. Link, I think only deal with UK citizens but I might be wrong?

Back in 2002 you could buy a gift box that contained one share in a small computer company called Apple.

It retailed at €49.95 and it was fairly popular Christmas gift that year in the store I had in Liffey valley.

I sincerely hope all those that received it registered their share as after splits, that weird Christmas gift is worth about €2500 today.

It was created by the same company that sells "name a star" and "acre of land on the moon", but they also sold single share gifts in football clubs.

The financial world is going paperless @Tintagel , even cash will disappear soon. I suggest investing quite a bit in fintech because of this... Just my opinion of course... I love books though... I hope they will stay :)

Last edited:
Actually only noticed now the original post

" receive a share certificate"

Why would you want a piece of paper
In this day and age

I can hold my shares in digital format with Davy. I can also opt for a share certificate from Davy at an additional cost. They arrange this and post me the certificate. The charge about €50. I now hold the certificate in my name. If I want to sell these shares again I send the certificate back in to Davy. There is a charge for them to handle this share certificate....about €80.

While I have my shares in Digital format with Davy I am charged a fee of €50 per quarter. An account charge. What I don't know and hopefully someone might answer this question....

If I hold the share certificate in paper form in my name but still have my Davy account open with nil shares in it and nil cash........am I still charged the €50 fee per quarter for having the account open?

Back