can I ask CWO for loan

rebecca1999

Hi
Hoping someone can help. I am receipt of JA for myself and family. However I need to put some oil in the tank and simply cannot afford to do it. I am receiving the fuel allowance each week but when I spoke to the oil company they would not take the payment weekly off me. Can I ask the CWO for a loan and hae it taken at source straight back from my welfare payment.
Thanks Beck

thanks for the replies...
spoke to the citizens information yesterday and they told I could ask for money for 'exceptional circumstances' and that I would not have to pay it back, but that just seems wrong cos I do want to pay it back

It was always my understanding that the CWO officers had discretionary money to pay out for fuel bills, emergencies, baby buggies etc. Ask your CWO.

Alternatively can you borrow the money off a friend or relation and set up a direct debit to pay that person back directly off your dole.

thanks for the replies...
spoke to the citizens information yesterday and they told I could ask for money for 'exceptional circumstances' and that I would not have to pay it back, but that just seems wrong cos I do want to pay it back

What about contacting SVP and then, if they are able to help you out and you want to pay it back, donating small amounts to them as and when you can afford to?

Bronte,

The scheme you refer to is an Exceptional Needs Payment, which is a once-off payment to assist with unforeseen, exceptional need which cannot be provided for out of one's own resources.

A winter fill of oil wouldn't be considered an unforeseen exceptional need unless there were other circumstances - e.g. a serious illness which required additional use of heating and caused the oil to run out sooner.

The OP is certainly entitled to apply if they so wish.

Back