Can fiance's name go on house deeds

dmac

I'm just about to purchase a second hand house, my solicitor is just waiting on the funds from the bank and the sale can go through. My question is the house which i'm buying is for myself and my fiance, can her name be put on the deeds also even though i'm buying it as a single applicant. The problem is as she is still studying i got the mortgage approval myself as a single applicant. She will be qualified in May and i will pay the mortgage fully until she gets work after which we will both pay half. I know this will mean we have to go to a solictor to get her name on the mortgage but we plan to extend the house so that can be done at the same time.

Why don't you just do it now? Postpone the closing, have both of you as joint applicants for the mortgage and joint owners of the house? If the bank are willing to lend solely to you, they are unlikely to have a problem lending to you both.

But do do a co-ownership agreement so that in the unlikely event anything bad happens, due consideration is given for payments made to the date of the split.

Or get married and re-mortgage and put property in joint names then.

mf

We will re mortgage as joint applicants when doing the extension but what i'm asking is can her name be put on the deeds of the house now before this, i'm not interrested in a co owner ship agreement, me paying the mortgage on my own will only be for a few months

We will re mortgage as joint applicants when doing the extension but what i'm asking is can her name be put on the deeds of the house now before this, i'm not interrested in a co owner ship agreement, me paying the mortgage on my own will only be for a few months

The bank is unlikely to give the mortgage to one applicant and allow two people on the deeds for obvious reasons hence the advice above.

Back