AIB Can an AIB Prevailing Rate customer try to get a tracker rate and further compensation?

But you are forgetting that the tracker example should still include the repayments of 154K (because I, and everybody else were forced to make those "over-payments"). Thus, you would have been charged even less interest, as those over-payments are reducing the capital, and have an even smaller balance.
Thanks for putting this so well. I completely agree

There is no point in challenging a decision of the Ombudsman in the High Court.

The High Court adopts a policy of curial deference to the Ombudsman. They might not agree with his decision, but they would only overturn it if there was some series of manifestly wrong reasoning.

I say that to consumers as well. If the Ombudsman finds against you - tough. Just live with it.

That was in Karen's case.

If someone goes directly to the High Court, the High Court will hear the case from the start and express its own opinion.

Brendan
Just to be clear, and I think I did read about this on another thread somewhere, may I ask then, is it pointless.individual cases appealing to Ombudsman again re compensation and not being put on tracker ? Is the next option really to group resources for high court proceedings ?

1) It is pointless asking for a tracker. I would very much doubt that he will revisit that decision.

2) It is not pointless seeking compensation.
Karen did not look for compensation and her financial suffering did not have serious ramifications for her.

However, if you were in arrears or if you really struggled and made other sacrifices to stay out of arrears, you should get further compensation. I would hope that AIB would have the sense to have a speedy and informal means of settling such complaints. But if they don't or if you are not happy with their offer, do complain to the Ombudsman.

Brendan

1) It is pointless asking for a tracker. I would very much doubt that he will revisit that decision.

2) It is not pointless seeking compensation.
Karen did not look for compensation and her financial suffering did not have serious ramifications for her.

However, if you were in arrears or if you really struggled and made other sacrifices to stay out of arrears, you should get further compensation. I would hope that AIB would have the sense to have a speedy and informal means of settling such complaints. But if they don't or if you are not happy with their offer, do complain to the Ombudsman.

Brendan
Many thanks.

I spent some time over the weekend pulling together bits of info to support my claim for further compensation, I believe I can demonstrate an investment property that was deemed unsustainable and reprocessed was in fact sustainable had my principal been reduced by 12% back when we came off the fixed. Do I wait to submit this additional claim for compensation or can I submit it to the BDO as part of that appeal? I made reference to it in my initial appeal so this would be providing more info and substantiating the clam now.

Got generic letter from AIB this am, dated July 10th, basically outlining the stages to date, and that a/ c was written down 12%. They will write again in Aug re: compensation. No mention of how to accept this or appeal. V non specific as usual.
I called local branch to find out what repayment going forward would be, and what options here would be, again no info given , and awaiting a call back on this..... unbelieveable !

Thanks all for the work on this. I remember receiving the €1600 cheque on New Year's Eve a few years ago and thinking, they're trying to pawn people off with Christmas cash. That's when I started a claim. Different to the one we are all being refunded for, but put on hold until this resolved. Will re-open in September, depending on what AIB come back with.

And, I agree....they were truly horrific to deal with when we were struggling. Made us call Bank Centre every month, to be spoken to like dirt, because we had the temerity to be struggling during a recession, that they fueled.

I don't think so.

If you are submitting a claim for extra compensation to the Ombudsman, you could quote bits of the report.

I will study it next week in more detail and get a few quotes which might help.

Brendan

Back