Can a teacher check a pupil's phone for "inappropriate content"?

Back to the original query - I would have assumed that a principal is acting in loco parentis (perhaps Ive watched too many american movies) and would be entitled to view the contents of a childs mobile phone?

OP - I would be most interested in the actual correct legal answer to this question.

What is the schools policy on mobile phones in the school? Are they allowed if switched off in classes? Did your son have inappropriate material stored on phone? What would parents of other children think if their children were receiving inappropriate material on their phones and the school was not investigating. If the principal had to contact a parent every time they had to check for inappropriate material you certainly would not get the matter resolved immediately.

What is the schools policy on mobile phones in the school? Are they allowed if switched off in classes? Did your son have inappropriate material stored on phone? What would parents of other children think if their children were receiving inappropriate material on their phones and the school was not investigating. If the principal had to contact a parent every time they had to check for inappropriate material you certainly would not get the matter resolved immediately.

Not just contact the parent...some seem to think the parent should be present when the mobile phone is examined. What's next? Having the police present when a pencil case is checked for cog notes or claiming defamation when your child is accused of eating a sweet in class? Frankly, I tthink the world is gone mad!

It was my own experience in school that the children of parents who challenged the schools authorities for minor incidents like looking in a childs bag or checking their pockets if there was a suspicion of contraband were the children who were the biggest troublemakers and messers in the school, safe in the knowledge that mammy would arrive steaming if a teacher said one wrong word.

Back