Can a person opt out of being a beneficiary of a will

How would I go about doing that? It is very early days yet, probate has not yet been applied for. Is it a complicated procedure?

Contact the executor(s) / personal representative, they'll know what to do by consulting their solicitors.

Its not that complicated, write to the executor stating that you wish to disclaim.

I have a more general question. Is it possible to renounce as an executor and disclaim as a beneficiary of an estate – where you are the sole executor and beneficiary.

While the two issues would be two separate legal processes – this would mean that the estate would pass to a family member by descent (who would presumably then apply for probate as if the estate was intestate).

I don’t want the estate or the bother – and frankly they would benefit more as they live in the area.

If you do not want to be an executor, yes you formally declare in writing that you 'decline to act'.

Be aware of the tax implications, if any, for the remaining beneficiary.

Can I decide NOT to be a beneficiary?
Yes, as advised above, you may renounce. However, if your motivation to renounce is to avoid assets being "attacked" by your creditors, then you could have significant issues.

The law of the land is that a creditor can force you to take up your entitlement.

Jim Stafford

Back