Can a part time worker purchase notional service?

POC

I'm 41 and have worked full time for approx 11 years and part time (0.45 WTE) for approx 8 years.I plan to continue to work part time, but it is possible I'll increase my hours when my kids are bigger.
Could I buy notional service to increase my pension or are there any rules preventing part timers having a full pension. Could a part time worker end up with a pension which is bigger then their part time salary - if they had enough full time years before going part time, or bought enough notional service?
By the end of this year I'll have finished buying back all the service I can - so I'm trying to do my homework now so as to decide what to do next year about increasing my pension.
Thanks for any info!

Don't know a huge amount about this but I do know you can purchase notional service years. If you work part time for 8 years then that is taken as 4 full years for pension purposes so it is important to remember how that affects your pension. The number of years that you can purchase depends on the number of years service. Best to contact the Dept. of Finance for more info. Other good info else where on this site too. for example see http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/psp/part5.pdf

Yes can purchase notional service if you have regularised hours (e.g. have a contract for a set number of weekly hours rather than a casual contract). However you are required to buy years based on full time salary. You are buying a full time years service.

Back